The Best Ever Caesar Salad Dressing

I feel like a race horse lined up at the starting line. The shot is fired and off I go. That's how December has started out. Last week I was busy procuring ingredients and packing supplies for my cookie boxes. The weekend and Monday was consumed with baking the cookies and then packing everything up. As I write this all the boxes are packed and stacked next to me. All that's needed is a draping of packing tape. Then off they go to the post office for mailing. It's a very good feeling to have 1 of December's projects completed. 

As rewarding as it is to sit back and see a project done, I confess I'm drained. When I'm drained I want restorative food. The kind that feels decadent and rewarding but is also easy enough to whip up just before collapsing on the couch for the night. 

Caesar salad is just that for me. It has a nice combination of textures and flavors. There's the crunchy croutons, thick creamy umami dressing and that pop of verdant flavor from cold romaine. If a little grilled chicken is added, well that's dinner. Lately it's been dinner on repeat because I finally set my mind to perfecting Caesar dressing. I wanted something that didn't require raw egg yolks and yet could hold up to any fancy restaurant. It took multiple tries but this dressing will be my go-to forever. I finally got it to where it's not overly lemony, is loaded with umami and is thick and creamy. There's no lack of cheesiness either. 

I hope you give it a try and love it as much as I do.

COOKING NOTES:
As a quick aside, I use Pecorino Romano. I'm always going to be a pecorino girl but the classic rendition is parmesan. I mean no disrespect to parmesan but I like the punchiness of Romano more. Feel free to break the rules or not.  

If you're using bottled lemon juice, you may need a little more than what's called for in the recipe. Freshly squeezed lemon juice is stronger. 

The dressing can be made ahead and kept in the fridge for 3 days. I like to marinate some chicken breasts in Wishbone Italian Dressing, grill them off and then keep them in the fridge for various meals. 

MORE EASY RECIPES:
Low-Carb BLT Salad
RECIPE
BEST EVER CAESAR SALAD DRESSING
210 cals | 18.6 total fat | 5 sat. fat | 3 carb | .1 fiber | 3.2 protein 
[croutons not counted because they vary by brand and romaine lettuce not counted]
1 serving [Measurements for 4 servings follows the recipe]

2 tbs light mayonnaise
1/2 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tbs grated Parmesan cheese [I use Pecorino]
1 1/2 tsp extra virgin olive oil 
1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
1/8 tsp anchovy paste, optional
1/4 tsp freshly grated black pepper
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1/2 clove garlic, grated
2 cups chopped romaine lettuce
2 tbs grated Parmesan cheese [shredded can also be used] [I use Pecorino]
1/4 cup croutons 

1. In a large bowl mix mayonnaise, lemon juice, Parmesan cheese, olive oil, Dijon mustard, anchovy paste, black pepper, kosher salt and grated garlic. 

2. To the bowl, add romaine lettuce. Toss. Then add 2 tbs Parmesan cheese and croutons. Toss. 

Ingredients for 4 servings:

1/2 cup light mayonnaise
2 tsps freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese [I use Pecorino]
6 tsps extra virgin olive oil 
2 tsps Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp anchovy paste, optional
1 tsp freshly grated black pepper
1 tsp kosher salt
2 cloves garlic, grated
4 cups chopped romaine lettuce
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese [shredded can be used] [I use Pecorino]
1 cup croutons

1. In a large bowl mix mayonnaise, lemon juice, Parmesan cheese, olive oil, Dijon mustard, anchovy paste, black pepper, kosher salt and grated garlic. 

2. To the bowl, add romaine lettuce. Toss. Then add 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese and croutons. Toss. 

Comments