Protein Baked Chocolate Chip Oats

 


My mother was German and my dad, Italian-American. If that doesn’t explain why I’m starting there please let me clarify. Mornings started with either toast and jam or some sort of Italian pastry. When I think of a good breakfast I inevitably envision muffins, toast, jam, butter, Italian pastries, brioche, donuts. They dance in my mind like sugar plum fairies.


I still eat all of that because I’m never giving up la dulce vita. But that ideal morning start doesn’t have a lot of protein and I’m hungry within the hour. My compromise are these protein baked oatmeal thingies. They’re not quite a pastry but not quite a muffin. Whatever they are, they please me and I hope they please you too! With their help, I lost 15 pounds and am keeping it off. They’re the perfect way to harness some dulce vita on busy mornings because they’re —


Freezer friendly

Make ahead 

Meal Prep 

Lower sugar

Higher Protein 


Kind of thingies. You don’t even need a recently ripe banana. I stow my bananas in the freezer, thaw, drain the juice and mash as needed. 


RECIPE

2 servings

235 cals 7.3F 35.2C 8 Fiber 4.4 Sugar 11.6P



9g whey protein (1 tbs + 1 tsp)

7 tbs oat flour, make sure it’s leveled (51g)

5 tbs liquid egg whites (69g)

1/4 tsp + 1/8 tsp baking powder 

2 tbs sugar free pancake syrup (14g) 

54g mashed banana (approx. 3 inch long piece banana)

30ml vanilla protein shake (2.5 tbs)

2 tbs + 2 tps chocolate chips (32g)


Measure the dry ingredients (baking powder, whey protein, oat flour) and mix together. Add banana egg whites, pancake syrup and protein shake. Combine. Spoon into 4 greased silicon muffin cups. Bake 350F for 13-15 mins. (I bake in toaster oven and don’t preheat it.)

Comments