Crispy, High Protein, Skillet Chicken Parmesan



Imagine this, chicken parmesan that's crispy, cheesy and flavor packed but only took 30 minutes to make! No air fryer or deep fryer needed. We take a few shortcuts on this one meaning we don't dredge, fry and bake this chicken. While we've consolidated steps, we haven't skimped on flavor. This chicken dinner is family approved, low-calorie, high protein and much lower in carbs that its higher calorie cousin. What's more, these chicken cutlets are the bomb, my friends. The breading is crispy, the cheese melty, and the chicken juicy. I'm in heaven every time I eat them. 

I've been making a lot more of these high protein, healthy meals lately. If you've seen me on Instagram, it's no secret that I'm currently in a calorie-deficit. Working from home during the pandemic made me very sedentary. In early 2022 I realized I was avoiding picking up anything on the floor because I had lost range of motion. In the past few months I've worked hard to manage my eating, increase my flexibility and get stronger. The goal wasn't to get shredded but increasing my protein and bulking up on non starchy carbs has made me lose inches. 

I hope you give this recipe a try. I know you'll love it as much as I do. If you try it, let me know what you think. 

This easy dinner is:

Un-fried but tastes "fried" 

Low-calorie

High Protein

Moderate in carbs

Macro-friendly 

TIPS

Use high quality ingredients such as Locatelli Pecorino-Romano or imported, aged Parmesan. Since we don't have a lot of ingredients and this is a low-calorie recipe, we want ever ingredient to be flavorful.

Allow the breaded chicken to sit out for about 15 minutes before cooking. This will allow the breading to dry out and will make the final product crispier but also ensure the breading sticks to the chicken.

If using egg whites, beat the egg whites enough so that they are the consistency of shaving cream. This will ensure the breading has something to stick to. 

GETTING CRISPY CUTLETS WITHOUT AN AIR FRYER OR DEEP FRYING

Preheating your skillet is a good way to ensure you get a nice crust, especially since we aren't frying these. You'll get a nice sear on the bottom and on the top. Make sure to liberally spray the pan before adding the chicken and when you turn it. 

SUBSITUTIONS

  • You can use thinly sliced boneless, skinless chicken breast
  • You can use parmesan instead of pecorino-romano

INGREDIENTS

I like using Rao's pizza sauce because it's very flavorful. It allows me to use less sauce, which means less calories and it ensures lots of flavor and a crispier chicken breast. 

RECIPE

2 servings
Per Serving 282 cals | 6.7 F | 22.5 C | 30.2 P 
Track it in My Fitness Pal by searching "NJFV Skillet Chicken Parm"

8 oz Boneless, Skinless Chicken Tenderloins Pounded Thin 
2 tsp Dried Italian Seasoning
2 tbs Grated Pecorino-Romano
2 tbs Cornmeal
1/2 cup Panko Crumbs
3 tbs Liquid Egg Whites or 1 egg*
4 tbs Marinara Sauce
28g Part-Skim Mozzarella (1/4 cup)
Kosher Salt + Pepper

Season chicken with salt and pepper. In a shallow dish combine Italian seasoning, pecorino-romano, cornmeal and panko. In another dish, whisk the eggs whites until frothy. Dip chicken in the egg white and then the breading. Set aside 15 minutes. Using a skillet that fits all your chicken, head it to medium, 3-5 minutes, depending on the pan. Liberally spray the pan with cooking spray, add chicken and cook for approx. 3 minutes or until golden brown. Spray pan as you lift chicken to flip. Flip and cook another 3-4 minutes or until the other side is golden. Add the sauce and cheese to top, turn to low and cover. Cook 2-4 minutes or until cheese is melted. Serve!


*using 1 egg will change macros

Comments