High Protein Cinnamon Roll, No Yeast, Single Serving


My happiness starts with breakfast. Today's happiness is a high protein, no yeast cinnamon roll. It's sticky, gooey and feels so indulgent. Here's the good news, it's low calorie and high protein. Eating a diet high in protein has helped me to lose weight and stay full even when in a calorie deficit. Frankly, staying full while in a deficit felt impossible until I started creating recipes like this one. 

I kept hearing that a high protein diet with sufficient complex carbs would not only keep me full for longer but would also change my body as I pursued getting fit. I was skeptical. I've always eaten low-carb, low-fat or maintained some sort of keto diet. Learning to balance my plate wasn't easy but the reward is seeing my body is tighter and my clothes looser. 

I never thought returning to a normal amount of carbs and consuming lots of protein would revolutionize my life but it has! Since I feel so energetic and light, I'll be making more high protein recipes in the future. I hope you follow for more.

For now, let's get back to this recipe. This one is --

High Protein

Low Calorie

Low Sugar 

Includes necessary carbs for fullness

ABOUT THE RECIPE

I recommend reading the baking tips before starting. This is a very easy recipe but it requires a couple things for success.

BAKING TIPS

  • Use a whey-casein protein powder
  • I highly suggest using a scale. The results are most consistent. 
  • I like using a food processor to make the cinnamon roll dough. It quickly incorporates everything. If you don't have a food processor, you can cream everything together with a wide spoon. 
  • This item can be baked. Bake at 350F for about the same time.
  • When patting the dough out, make sure to have adequate flour underneath the dough. This is a tacky dough and the flour is needed.
  • The glaze makes more than 1 serving. It's hard to make 1 tbs of glaze! But the glaze keeps in the refrigerator for at least a week and can be used to add a boost of protein to items such as waffles, pancakes, donuts, smoothies and even on ice cream.  

INGREDIENTS

  • I've used various Kodiak Cake Flapjacks mixes with the same results. So you can try different flavors to switch things up!
  • I use Swerve granulated sugar
  • I use Truvia Complete Brown Sugar
    • If you don't use Truvia, use an alternate 0 calorie brown sugar. Swerve Brown Sugar is a good alternative. 
  • I used Ascent Vanilla Protein Powder which is an isolate. It works in this recipe but if you have a whey-casein blend, that is preferred.

RECIPE

Serves 1
Cinnamon Roll 196 cals | 1.3 F | 42C | 17 P | 3.5 S | 5.9 F
Protein Glaze 26 cals | .8 F | 2 C | 4 P | .2 S 


The Roll Recipe

2 tbs nonfat Greek yogurt (30g)
1 tsp 0 calorie sugar, divided (4g total)
1 tbs vanilla protein powder (6g)*
3 tbs Kodiak cakes protein flapjacks mix (27g)
1/2 tsp all-purpose flour (4g)

Filling

1 tbs Truvia or Swerve brown sugar (12g)
Cinnamon

Glaze (makes 3 servings)

1 1/2 -2 tbs unsweetened almond milk
1/2 scoop vanilla protein powder (15g)
1/2 tbs 0 calorie sugar (7g)

The Roll 

Combine yogurt, 1/2 tsp sugar (2 g), protein powder and flapjack mix. The mixture will be the consistency of wet sand. That's normal! Dump dough onto a board and press into a ball. Sprinkle 1/2 tsp flour onto the board. Form a 8 inch log that is about 1 1/4 inches wide. Press until you have a 9 inch long log. Make sure to keep pushing the flour under the dough to prevent sticking. Use a dough scraper or spatula to lift the dough so you get the flour underneath it. Put cinnamon in a narrow line down the center of dough. Sprinkle 1/2 tsp sugar (2g) and an abundance of brown sugar. Using the bench scraper for help make a roll. Put onto a small square of parchment paper. Scoop up any lost sugar from the board and put on top of roll. Put the roll that is sitting on the parchment into a 4 ounce ramekin and air fry at 325 F for 9-12 minutes. When it's brown on top it's done. 

*If using unflavored, add 1 tsp vanilla extract. 


The Glaze

While it's cooking make the glaze. Whisk the glaze ingredients together until cohesive. Start with 1 to 1 1/2 tbs of milk, whisk and add more as needed. 


Comments