Lighter Shrimp Po'Boy on Garlic Bread Drizzled with Ranch Aioli




During the summer I always have a couple stray hot dog buns laying around. I never know what to do with them so they're either tossed or stowed in the freezer until a freezer burn develops and then they're tossed. What a shame.  

Today was no exception. I stood in my kitchen wondering, "How do I transform some leftover fried shrimp and a hot dog bun into something special? Into something I want to eat?" 

After a bit of brainstorming I decided to make a Shrimp Po'Boy. The hot dog bun left me a little stumped. Then I thought, "Why not transform it into a garlic bread stick?" It turned out absolutely delicious and I was left regretting I didn't make more. If asked I would describe it as tasting like Texas Toast or the soft bread sticks served at the Olive Garden. Then the shrimp was reheated until crisp and everything was drizzled with some healthier ranch aioli. The aioli is a incredible decadent fake out that I'll be using on lots of things going forward. What started as some sad lunch leftovers was transformed into a feast fit for any table!

NOTES:
  • If you don't split the hot dog bun you can turn these into a delicious sandwich base. Once toasted the bun remains soft and pliable.
  • If the hot dog bun is split, they're in the shape of a breadstick and can embellish pasta, soup or you name it.
  • To make the sandwich lighter, grill some garlic shrimp instead of using fried.
  • I nestled some bread and butter pickles in between the shrimp and didn't count this towards calories. I rarely count pickles. If you do, add 20 calories to the final "count". 
  • Don't have an air fryer for the garlic bread? You can broil, grill or bake these. Bake at 400 degrees, broil on high until browned. I didn't flip when toasting.

HOT DOG GARLIC BREAD 
80 cals/1g fat/23g carbs/4g protein/2g sugar*

INGREDIENTS per bun:

1) hot dog bun
2) 1 clove of fresh garlic per bun, minced 
3) olive oil cooking spray

Preheat air fryer to 375 degrees for 5 minutes. Meanwhile open the bun, lightly spray both sides of bun with olive oil cooking spray, spread the interior with minced garlic. Place bun, garlic side up in air fryer for 3-5 minutes or until golden OR run under broiler until crisp.

*For bun [I used light bun and didn’t count the garlic and spray]

RANCH AIOLI 
Makes 1 serving: 43 cals/4g fat/2g carb/1g protein/1g sugar

INGREDIENTS
1 tablespoon olive oil mayo
1 teaspoon Bolthouse Farms Ranch Dressing

Stir to combine. That's it! 

Comments