Skinny Meatless Black Bean & Butternut Squash Enchiladas

I hope the holidays were kind to you. They certainly were to me in nearly all aspects but one, my waistline. Today I'm in my fat jeans and while new year's resolutions are still several days away, I have one...or two. I've decided to cut my meat intake in half by eating more meatless options and of course, I'm going to get back into my skinny jeans. Did I mention I'm also trying to reduce my sugar intake? 

Since it's Monday and there's a "Meatless Monday" campaign out there, I've decided to start today without meat! I started the day with oatmeal prepared in almond milk, had some mushroom, carrot and avocado sandwich filling in a wrap and finished up with these absolutely divine Black Bean & Butternut Squash Enchiladas. These enchiladas were extremely fragrant while cooking and the final product was a satisfying, flavor packed mouthful that made me go for seconds. The best part? They taste sinful but aren't! To me, these enchiladas are a one dish dinner. 

I'm definitely making these again. Here's my recipe, which was inspired by Skinnytaste's version. Mine has a bit more spices because I like boldly flavored food and the technique is a little different. 

RECIPE:
Makes 6 enchiladas
Per Enchilada: 197 cal; 26 g carbs; 6 g fat; 9 g sodium; 2 g sugar; 700 g sodium

1 c red enchilada sauce
1 T olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, pealed and chopped
1 1/4 c peeled butternut squash cut into 1/2 inch cubes (I get mine already peeled and cubed at the supermarket)
3/4 c reduced sodium canned black beans, rinsed and drained well
5 oz Rotel reduced sodium tomatoes with green chilis
1/2 t ground coriander
1/2 t cumin powder
1/2 t ground ancho chiles (can substitute chili powder)
1/2 c water
6 small low-carb flour tortillas
1 c reduced-fat shredded Mexican cheese

Garnish
1 T chopped scallions
some reduced-fat sour cream

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Take the tortillas out of the fridge and bring to room temperature. In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. While heating the skillet, drain and rinse the black beans. Once the skillet has been heated, add olive oil, onion and garlic. Saute for 3 minutes. Add squash, beans, tomatoes, ground coriander, cumin powder, ancho chili powder and water. Cover, reduce heat to medium low and cook for 15 minutes or until squash is tender. 

In an 11x7 inch glass baking dish, spread 1/4 c of enchilada sauce on the bottom to prevent sticking. Once the squash mixture is tender remove from the stove. Dip each tortilla into the remaining enchilada sauce, then add 1/4-1/3 c of the mixture to the tortilla and roll. Place seaside down in the baking dish. Repeat with the other 5 tortillas. Spread another 1/4 c of enchilada sauce over the top. Sprinkle with cheese and top with the remaining sauce. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted.

Serve with sour cream and scallions if you wish. 

Comments