Unbelievably Good Amish Baked Oatmeal - Cinnamon Bun/Oatmeal Cookie Goodness for Breakfast!



If you like oatmeal cookies and cinnamon buns, you'll adore this recipe because that's what this oatmeal tastes like! Wafting through the air right now is the delectable aroma of cinnamon. The aroma is so appealing that waiting for this to come out to the oven felt like an eternity. Digging my spoon into this baked oatmeal brings back fond memories. My mother came from the "dutch country" and brought the awesomeness of that cuisine with her. To me, the smell of cinnamon, the taste of creamy potato "filling" or the flavor combination of celery and onions takes me back a good 20 years and into my mother's kitchen. Each morning she'd feed me from an old farm table we still have.

There's something about this cookie, cinnamon bun bowl of morning goodness that warms my heart. Maybe it's because I recall my mother's unshakable faith and unwavering love? Either way, I hope you enjoy this recipe! It's appropriate for kids of all ages.

TIPS:

  • You can mix everything up the night before and bake in the morning. 
  • Generally milk is poured overtop when serving.
  • It's freezable. Simply wrap individual servings in plastic wrap, then freeze in a Ziploc. Microwave or thaw to defrost.
  • Don't like cinnamon and/or nutmeg? Leave it out or add something else like pumpkin spice or chai flavors.
  • Add some chopped nuts or fruit.
  • This recipe can be doubled. 
  • Ramekins or 3 greased muffin tins can be used.

RECIPE:
Prep time: 5 minutes
Bake time: 20-25 minutes
Servings: 3

INGREDIENTS: 
1 T unsalted butter, melted
3/4 c of quick cooking oats
1/4 c granulated sugar (adjust to taste - this is sweet)
1 large egg
1/4 c of milk (I used 1%)
1/2 t baking powder
dash of salt
1/2 t cinnamon
1/4 t nutmeg
1/2 t vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease 3, 6-8 ounce ramekins or use greased muffin tins. Combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Bake 20-25 minutes or until set.  I took mine out at the 23 minute mark.

185 calories/serving
5.4 g fat
2.8 g saturate fat
0 g trans fat
11 mg cholesterol
232 mg sodium
32.3 g carb
18 g sugar
3.4 protein

Comments