Ditch Stress by Grabbing Comfort Food (Cheesy Cheddar Polenta & BBQ Shrimp)

She was twelve hours into her workday. Emails were popping up, Sametime messages were blinking and the voice mail icon was lit on her phone. To make matters worse, her personal phone was buzzing with new text messages, a voice mail confirming an after hours appointment and personal emails begging responses. Not prone to freaking out, she locked her computer and headed to the bathroom. These days, respite was found in the "rest" room.

When she returned to her desk, her cell phone was buzzing with a familiar area code.

"Hello?" she asked wearily.

"Hi, I'm calling from Z plumbing to inquire as to the satisfaction of your service and to let you know you qualify for 20% off your next plumbing service." the caller chirped.

Dang, she thought it was a friend and not the Z Plumbing. She's kidding? She's seriously kidding? Am I getting punked? Z Plumbing is calling me during working hours, oh wait, normal people are home right now, to ask me about a plumbing "service"? What service? They charged me for a quote. It started with the plumbing professional turning his back to me upon seeing the job, calling the "manager" because the job was "more complicated" then most and then him swiveling around, binder in hand to discuss with me special pricing. It was a marvelous dog and pony show that some amateurs probably fell for. The binder, the complexity of the job and Z Plumbing's marvelous reputation.

She took a deep breath. She was ready to provide feedback. "Thanks for calling and in fact, I'm glad you did. Let's take a couple minutes for me to explain why I'm never using Z Plumbing again. The entire experience was expertly designed to intimidate homeowners into paying outrageous prices for substandard parts. I received a higher quality part for less money and installation from someone else. Of course, I understand that businesses can set whatever prices they want but when the plumber screamed at me for calling him out on this dog and pony charade he was conducting, I immediately feared I'd be a feature on 60 minutes - for disappearing after a routine quote request."

"Ma'am, I'd like to apologize..." she started.

"Don't apologize! It's not his fault he's required to tote around a binder of pre-fixed ultra-high prices that are magically offered to new customers at 20% off and trained to intimidate people. Nonetheless, since I don't want to be featured on 60 Minutes anytime soon, please don't call me again. I won't be using Z Plumbing." She said as quietly as she could.

A 1/2 hour later, she was in her car craving a little comfort food. She had read that comfort food was discovered to reduce stress. Pleasurable foods reduce stress hormones and heart rates. She pushed her foot down on the gas and raced home. There it was, placidly resting on the middle shelf of her fridge. Tonight's comfort food - silky, cheesy polenta with caramelized BBQ shrimp. The cheddar in the polenta coated her tongue as the tang of the BBQ saucy shrimp balanced everything out. Sometimes stress is worth it, when it's alleviated by a little R&R in the form of Cheesy Cheddar Polenta & Grits.

RECIPE:

TIPS

  • For lump free polenta, mix the liquid and cornmeal together before heating
  • To sear your shrimp, pre-heat the pan on medium 


The Polenta
1/2 c of white stone ground cornmeal (I used Indian Head)
1 c of reduced sodium chicken stock
1 c of cold water
1/2 c of shredded low fat cheddar
1 T half and half (I like Land O Lakes)

Whisk together cornmeal, stock and water in a small heavy bottom sauce pan. Let the mixture come to a low bubble (don't bowl). Lower the heat and simmer, stirring frequently for 20-30 minutes. If the mixture thickens too much, add more water (I usually add 1/2 c more). Take off the heat, mix in the cheddar. Add 1 T of half and half if you'd like a little extra silk (optional)

BBQ Shrimp:
1/3 c BBQ sauce
8 large shrimp (rinse your shrimp and let dry on paper towel)
1 T unsalted butter

Preheat the pan on medium heat. Once heated, add the butter. It's ok if it sizzles and browns. Add the shrimp and let sear for 2 minutes or until golden. Drizzle BBQ sauce over shrimp and cook another 2 minutes, flip and cook 4 minutes longer or until the shrimp are curled and firm.

To plate - add a puddle of polenta and top with shrimp. Sit back and enjoy!



Comments