Surviving The Carb Slash

I'm convinced the commencement of a low carb or carb free diet is nothing short of torture. For me, bread and dessert are daily staples. Sadly, I don't need a scale to determine that my endless foodventures have been kind to my taste buds but cruel to my figure. Bleh!

As I mentally prepared for my lower carb regime, I began fantasying about pizza, cheese bread, mashed potatoes and Baked By Melissa. Too bad all that is history for a while! I thought I'd have to kiss pizza goodbye, that is until a co-worker mentioned Dr. Oz's introduction of cauliflower pizza. Apparently adaptations of this idea have been making the rounds and have even been show cased in Glamour. My reaction to her rave review of the recipe? Yeah, it was less than favorable. I'm the girl that prefers full flavor and full on fat to low fat and therefore, tasteless food. A ground cauliflower and cheese crust sounded disgusting.

This co-worker urged me to try it. I'm really glad I did! It was absolutely awesome. Admittedly, there's nothing like the real thing. Yet, this crust is almost like the real deal and will definitely help ease the suicidal feeling that can overtake one who is cutting back on carbs and refined sugar. I heart this crust. Did I mention it's naturally gluten free?

Here's the pie and my recipe adaptation with notes. The links above also provide some variations of the same thing.

 
 

1 cup cooked cauliflower (I steamed the florets of 1 small cauliflower until soft, then pulsed them in a food processor until very finely ground. 1 head will make 2 pizzas)
1 cup shredded part skim mozzarella cheese
1 egg white (I used All Whites)
1 tsp dried oregano
1 medium garlic clove, grated
1/2 tsp garlic salt
1 9 inch round of parchment paper

Place a pizza stone in a cold oven. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Mix the ground cauliflower, cheese, egg white, oregano, garlic clove and garlic salt together. Put the parchment paper round onto a metal pizza pan & pat the mixture onto the parchment paper. Bake the crust for 15-20 minutes. The edges should be golden brown and the center should be spongy to the touch.

Take the crust out and add your toppings. If using tomato sauce, be sure to make your own sauce because jarred sauce has a lot of sugar. Put back in the oven and bake until the cheese is bubbly.

The pizza pictured above is a white pizza. I used fresh mozzarella for the topping.

Nutritional information for just the crust (as provided by recipegirl.com)
Nutritional info per serving for JUST THE CRUST- per slice Serving Size: 1 slice (pizza cut into 6 slices)
Calories 84, Fat 4.3g, Sat Fat 2.6g, Cholesterol 40.8mg, Sodium 166mg, Carbohydrates 4.6g, Fiber 1.9g, Sugar 0g, Protein 7.1g
WW Points Plus: 2 Old Points Program: 2


Comments