The Caramelized Onions Fiasco

Several weeks ago I made an absolutely outstanding caramelized onion quiche. In just 1/2 hour my father and I had consumed 3/4 of it. I eagerly devoured the other 1/4 for lunch the subsequent day. So, at Saturday's farmer's market, I eagerly purchased a quart of red onions and set out to caramelize them tonight. What a disaster! In my haste, I skipped over reviewing the "how to's" on caramelizing and made short order of slicing and sauteing my fresh and pungent friends. A half hour later my dad asked what was burning...it was the onions.

Seeing as it's Sunday night at 8:30, I'm not in the mood to run out and replenish the onions. We may not be eating the quiche tomorrow night as planned. It just might be pork chops with butternut squash which was Tuesday's menu.

Lesson learned: never think you're an expert. Read the directions again!

Comments