Caramelized Onion Quiche w/Garlic Roasted Fingerling Potatoes

     As I sit, the crackling of red onions caramelizing mixes with the tunes wafting out my iPod. The onion aroma is blending with the garlic roasting on the blue fingerling potatoes. Never one to admit defeat, I marched into A&P this morning at 7 a.m. and stood in a 10 minute line with the sole purpose of securing a batch of red onions to caramelize for tonight's quiche.
     As a side dish, I've roasted some blue fingerling's I’ve had rolling around in my potato bin from last week's farmer's market visit. Tonight, we'll see how both creations taste.
     Here's a few tips on caramelizing onions -- which every recipe seems to have conveniently omitted:
·         Cook slowly and over a very low flame. They should take between 45 minutes to an hour to caramelize. If brown after 10 minutes, the flame is way too high!
·         Add a couple teaspoons of water every 5-7 minutes to avoid burning the bottom of your pan.
     Quiche Tips:
·         For the classic custard base, I combine 1/2 cup heavy cream w/a little under 1/2 cup of skim. The key is to have a medium weight custard consistency over the filling (in this case onions & Gruyere).
·         Swiss is not a substitute for Gruyere. Swiss isn't melty.
     Curious to see how it all turned out? Here's the pics:



Comments