What Cooking Has Taught Me & The Best Blueberry Muffins I've made


Once upon a time I was a notice baker and an even newer cook, that is if there's something newer than a novice! I'd follow a recipe to the letter and wouldn't try anything that I didn't have all the ingredients for. I followed the recipe of my life in the same way. I only tried what I could succeed at and avoided things that were intimidating. 

In fact, a now ex-boyfriend would chide me for my refusal to go "off road" in cooking. He'd throw new things into a recipe, substitute ingredients and only loosely follow the directions. At the time, I really admired the risks he took in the kitchen but was too afraid something wouldn't come out ok if I took a risk. I was of the opinion that success was far better than failure.

But success is often caused by taking calculated risks. Two years ago I took a calculated risk and bought my first home. It was more scary than exciting. I was stressed by finding the right mortgage and even more stressed by figuring out my decorating style (yea go figure on that one...). Thoughts would churn through my head. What if I get lonely? What if I hate living alone? What if I didn't budget correctly? I want a white couch but everyone says it's too annoying to keep clean. Buying a home was well worth the risk! It was in the solitary of my kitchen and new home that I learned to take risks, to trust my gut and persevere. 

No one watches me here or comments on my failures. I've relished the moments of eating nachos smothered in cheese and pulled BBQ chicken and then downing a chocolate dipped ice cream cone. Some nights, with much delight, I dunk baked chicken fingers into honey mustard sauce with the joy of a five year old. At other times I eat a deconstructed Vietnamese pork rice noodle bowl with much sophistication. 

In my tiny kitchen where counter space is scarce, I've created some true masterpieces and some absolute horrors. Some things work together and some things don't. The DIY microwave popcorn in a brown paper lunch bag came out totally burnt. The peanut butter butter cream was anything but creamy. There really isn't a substitute for bacon, for real sugar or decadent chocolate. I digress. 

What has cooking taught me? That with experience comes the confidence to take risks. I generally try a recipe and then tweak/adjust it to my tastes, though not always. I also boldly make substitutions and sometimes deconstruct a complex recipe, using it only as a starting point for improv. When deciding to take a risk in the kitchen tell yourself what I tell myself. Sometimes it'll be great and other times it won't be. No worries, the trashcan happily accepts failures.

PS-And everybody loves a comeback story.

Are you ready to take a risk? If you answered yes or no, this recipe is for you. It's a confidence booster. Because let's face it, sometimes you want a short cut to a rock star recipe.


Comments