Peanut Butter Banana Oatmeal Breakfast Cookies


This was the weekend of recipe flops. The famed Baked Crispy Tofu from David Lebovitz was tough, not crispy and tasted only of soy. I'd like to add that the baked crispy tofu was a labor of love consisting of draining and then marinating the tofu overnight before flipping it in the oven every 10 minutes for an hour while it baked. Following that disaster was my individual vegetable lasagnas. The bechamel was delicious as was the lasagna. The presentation? It was cheese everywhere but between the noodles. The chocolate chip mini muffins...were tasty but more like a mini scone than a tender, moist muffin. That didn't stop me from eating all of them though!

I mention this because sometimes I forget how much effort it takes to create the perfect recipe. My camp-side chili took 48 renditions! My deep chocolate cake took 3 attempts and the frosting was discovered from a different recipe - a Guinness cupcake recipe. The mini lasagna failure birthed another outcome...a use for wonton wrappers in stir fry. More to come on that as I begin creating the recipe. So, as I tell you about the oatmeal cookie success, I wanted to share this video about social media and false impressions. It had me thinking all week. It had me thinking so much that I shared it with co-workers. The truth is, life contains a lot of illusions. We share the perfect things and withhold the imperfect. The cookies in these photos are the most perfect of lot (all but one, I threw that in there because I ate one while photographing!).

Here it is! The Peanut Butter Banana Oatmeal Breakfast Cookies inspired by skinnytaste. They were supposed to be peanut butter and jelly breakfast cookies but the whole weekend was a jinx! So I improvised with a little dollop of Hershey's Chocolate Syrup (lite). I love the flavor of these cookies. They're soft, rich and only 126 calories per 2 cookies. There's a hint of peanut butter flavor and the dab of chocolate syrup has me reminiscing about peanut butter cups. In fact, I think these would be lovely baked in mini muffin tins and then having their tops dipped in chocolate. That'll be next!

Start out with these ingredients, notice there's no jam because well, the seal was broken and I couldn't use. Only one banana is needed. I made coffee while I baking these because coffee and cookies just go together for me.

Using a tablespoon or cookie scoop, place the cookie balls on parchment paper lined baking sheet or a cookie sheet coated with non-stick spray. Yea, this wasn't my weekend. I realized half way through baking these needed a little "well" in the center to hold the jam or in my world - chocolate syrup. If you forget to make the well like me, that's ok! Just pull'em out when you remember and make a dent. Bake 15 minutes and eat!


The recipe...
1 ultra ripe banana (the riper the sweeter)
1 T of reduced fat smooth peanut butter
1/2 c of minute oats (use gluten free oats if desired)
4 t of light Hershey Syrup (or you can use 4 t of sugar free jam)

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350.
Mash the peeled, ripe banana. Mix in the peanut butter and add the oats to combine. Using a cookie scoop or tablespoon, place the cookies on parchment paper. Make a small well in the center of each cookie using the top of a wooden spoon. Bake for 15 minutes or until soft but golden. Once out of the oven, add some chocolate syrup in the center. Eat!

Serving Size: 2
Calories: 126
Carbs: 24 g
Fat: 3
Protein: 3
Sodium: 42
Sugar: 8

Comments