This Food Junkie Need Rehab - Starting w/Chicken & Broccoli

It's no secret that I have a one track mind and that track is food. My love of food competes with my love of fashion. One minute I'm indulging in chicken & waffles, the next I'm trying on ankle length skinnies for spring. Food and fashion don't have to be a contradiction but in my world they often are. Which leads me to recent developments. After a few nights *cough* ok, many weeks of blissfully consuming everything from filet mignon, salt crusted baked potato with sour cream and butter, lobster tail, Portuguese chicken, dates stuffed with blue cheese and wrapped with caramelized bacon and family style dinners at Maggianio's, bikini shopping is definitely out. That's ok. I've learned what works for my metabolism and I'm starting to get back on track.

Getting back on track is never easy. While I love veggies, lean proteins and healthy food - I love dessert, fried chicken and almost anything breaded too. Friday evening's craving for something Chinese and drenched in sauce didn't help! To cut calories and satisfy my craving, I decided to try my hand once again at Chicken & Broccoli. After all, it's a Chinese classic. In the past, my stir fries have been bland at best and worse yet...tasteless. Stop the press, this healthy evening meal satisfied my need for a little crunch and allowed me to head to bed feeling one step closer to a flatter stomach.

I'm not sure what made me crave this dish? It really doesn't matter. What matters is that this version delivers chicken bursting with spicy ginger, aromatic garlic and al dente broccoli. I picture this spooned over white rice or tossed with lo mein noodles for the perfect spring dinner. I didn't get that far. I devoured my portion because I was too lazy to cook rice. That's right, too lazy to prepare rice. The best part? It's ready in about 15 minutes and is super low in calories. Craving solved in a very timely manner!

Here's how the recipe goes...

Start off with a few stir fry staples...(oops, what happened to the top of the sesame oil here?!?)
Rinse your veggies...

Put it all together & eat...


Here's the recipe:
STEP 1:
Prepare the veggies & meat
Cut 2 broccoli florets into 1 inch pieces 
Slice on a diagonal 2 scallions (including greens) into rounds
Set aside

Using a separate cutting board, slice 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts into 1 inch thick slices (or use boneless thighs)

Prepare the aromatics 
2 T of ginger - grate on a microplane
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
Set aside

1/4 cup of water

STEP 2: 
2 T reduced sodium soy sauce
1 T rice vinegar
2 T oyster sauce
1 T corn starch
1 t dark sesame oil
1 t brown sugar (optional)
Mix everything together & set aside.

For the cooking you'll need 2 T canola oil or either flavorless high heat index oil.

STEP 3:
In a wok or large skillet, heat 2 T of canola oil in a very hot pan until shimmering. Add chicken and brown on 1 side (about 5 mins). Add veggies and stir fry until veggies turn bright green (about 5 minutes). Add aromatics and stir fry for 2 minutes. Add 1/4 cup of water and loosen any brown bits on bottom of pan. Stir the sauce to recombine and drizzle into the pan. Toss for a couple minutes. Done!

Serve over white rice or toss with lo mein noodles. Inspired by the recipe posted on Martha Stewart

Comments