Do You Believe In Soul Mates?

Last week, while working out with a co-worker, I discovered that my "buddy" has accepted the good with the not so good when it comes to his attraction to his significant other. He casually said, "She isn't the type I normally date but you just go with it." His comment got me thinking. Do we settle for less than a soul mate or grow more realistic as time goes on? When I was sixteen years old I remember pondering over the idea of soul mates. Is it possible that when God created me, He also created my perfect compliment? As time skipped by and men began to puncture my beliefs on love and romance, my thinking on the subject of soul mates dwindled. After all, no one is perfect. That's perhaps the largest lesson I've learned when it comes to romance.

I was about to give up on the notion of soul mates...about to, that is until yesterday morning. As I sat at my favorite coffee house journaling, I began to think back to the people I love most. I wasn't thinking about my x-boyfriends, I was thinking about my best friend and my mom. These relationships have been hallmarks for me. They've been nurturing, fun and stimulating. What both relationships have offered me is perfectly what I needed and need. My best friend and I have had few conversations of late and are now miles away from each other but this morning I woke up thinking about her (I thought of her yesterday as well). Then, just several hours later, she texted me saying she was in my area the day before. So twice in one weekend we were on the same wavelength. That happens with us all the time.

My mother was able to feel my pain, love my flaws and challenge me to be the woman she knew I'd become. She prayed with me daily and gave me all the spiritual strength she could. I've been without her for seven years and yet her faith in God, her love for me and the beautiful childhood she gave me lives on in me. I hope to give the same perfect gifts to my children some day.

I once read an article that soul mates don't have to arrive in our lives in the form of romantic relationships. Soul mates can come to us in the form of friendships, siblings or even a parent. If that's the case, I've had many of them.  Since my mother was my first soul mate, I thought I'd make a recipe today that she prepared for me thousands of times during my childhood. It's always been a favorite! The tangy, oniony slow cooked beef stew is pure comfort on this cool, almost spring day.

Hungarian Goulash
2 medium minced onions
1 lb. stew beef cubes
1/4 tsp. dry mustard
1 1/4 tsp. paprika
2 Tbsp. brown sugar
1 1/4 tsp. salt
3 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
3/4 tsp. cider vinegar
6 Tbsp. ketchup
1 1/2 c. water
3 Tbsp. flour
1 (6 oz) pkg. noodles

Brown the meat in a little hot oil in a Dutch oven, add onion. Combine next 4 ingredients. Combine following 3 liquid ingredients and add to dry ingredients. Add to meat; add 1 cup water. Stir, cover. Cook on low for 2 to 2 1/2 hours or until meat is very tender; add more water, if needed. Blend flour and remaining water; add to thicken. Serve over noodles. Serves 4

                                                              Browned Beef and Onions
                                                         Beef Mixtures With Sauce
                                                                The Finished Dish!
 
 

Comments