Vanilla Bean Frappe

It's true, I'm hooked on Starbucks' frappuccinos. Back in my days of working retail, I'd always sip one as a pick-me-up on my afternoon break. Fast forward to my first job out of college when me and the lawyers I worked with would high tail it to Starbucks and I'd get the white chocolate mocha frappuccino nearly everyday. Imagine my surprise a year later when the scale revealed I was five pounds heavier. The mid afternoon frozen blended coffee drinks were contributing to my weighed down look. Boo and bah hum bug. I swore off the frothy goodness for most of my 20's, only indulging a few times a year but lately, times have been hard ("they were the best of times and the worst of times") but I digress...I wanted a little bit of frothy coffee goodness but the calories and sugar in the blended coffee drinks at popular retail chains is so not worth the splurge. I created this 75 calorie version because I'm a girl who wants it all. Never settle people! This tastes exactly like Starbucks but you get to ditch the calories and the lines. Just be sure to grab some smoothie straws before setting out to make this. I get mine right at the local food store.


RECIPE:

Home Blender Tip for Silky Smooth Frappe (Ignore if you have an awesome $$$ blender, this is for those of us using a humble variety): Let the coffee ice cube tray and the Arctic Zero thaw for approx. 15 - 20 minutes on the counter. Or (what I usually do) create a hot water bath for your ice cube tray by microwaving some water for 3 minutes and pour into a small baking pan. You’ll want enough hot water so that when your tray rests in the bath, ½ of it is submerged. Rest your ice cube tray in the hot water bath (don’t submerge) until some of the coffee starts to melt (about 5 minutes). The idea is to soften the coffee until the ice is the consistency of ice cream that’s softened (still hard and frozen but not as hard as an ice cube). Here's some pics to show what I mean.

Ignore the Arctic Zero Cappuccino flavor - the recipe calls for Cookie Dough. You can totally use Cappuccino flavor if you like. Above is how soft the frozen dessert should be when you blend.

It's hard to see but here's the slightly "melted" coffee cubes

Here's how they look when they go in the blender - see how some of it is melted?
Serving Size: makes approx. 1, 10 ounce serving (can easily be doubled)
Recipe:
6 ounces of cold brew coffee or espresso. (I use this recipe for cold brew: http://www.gimmesomeoven.com/how-to-cold-brew-coffee-recipe/)
2 tablespoons fat free half and half or any *“milk” including almond, soy, etc. you like
½ teaspoon vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
2 tablespoons Arctic Freeze Cookie Dough flavor (*or substitute frozen yogurt – low calorie kind)
2 packets of sugar free sweetener (*or substitute 2 teaspoons regular sugar, Stevia or maple syrup)
2 tablespoons of Reddi Whip Whipped Cream
A drizzle of chocolate syrup
*Substitutions will change the calorie content
Directions:
Mix the coffee, half and half together. Pour into an ice cube tray and freeze until solid to make coffee ice cubes (I freeze mine overnight). In a blender add the coffee ice cubes, vanilla bean paste, softened arctic freeze cookie dough and sweetener. Pulse 5 times or until the coffee cubes are broken down. Blend for 1 minute or until smooth. Serve!


Comments